Samaritan Inns, Inc.
Director of Philanthropy and Community Engagement
Location: Washington, DC
ABOUT SAMARITAN INNS
At Samaritan Inns, Inc., we are driven by a deep commitment to transforming lives and building a community where individuals overcome addiction and homelessness to achieve lasting recovery. Established with a mission to provide comprehensive, compassionate care in an environment of support and accountability, Samaritan Inns has been a beacon of hope in Washington, DC, for nearly 40 years. We strip away layers of grief, trauma, mental illness, injustice, poverty, and abuse by creating the space to help our clients find themselves and return to the simple act of living. Samaritan Inns is a program that works, saves lives, and lasts. People leave better and live better. At Samaritan Inns, we seek to fulfill our biblical mandate to care for vulnerable populations and strive to do this in a Christian faith-based program that treats the whole person – body, mind, and spirit.
The Director of Philanthropy and Community Engagement is a new role designed to lead all aspects of development and engagement, including special events, fundraising, communication and volunteer operations, and in-kind donations. The Director supervises two staff: a full-time Development Associate and a part-time Development Associate/Communications and Outreach Coordinator. The Director works closely with the President and CEO, the Director of Finance, the Board of Directors, and volunteer committees. The Director reports to the President and CEO and will be instrumental in shaping a strategic development department. They will assess and realign the current fundraising program and rebuild a sustainable funding model, emphasizing building a robust major and leadership gifts program and growing a vibrant prospect pool.
The Director role requires a strategic mindset, strong leadership skills, and the ability to build a robust fundraising model while effectively managing internal relationships across the organization and external relationships to support Samaritan Inns’ mission and goals.
- Serve as a thought partner to the President/CEO and Board members on strategic fundraising and engagement
- Serve as a key member of leadership in organizational strategic and annual planning
- Develop, manage, and implement the annual development plan, including revenue/expense projecting
- Develop, manage, and implement a fundraising strategy to include a major and leadership gifts program
Development and Events
Marketing and Communication
- Collaborate with staff and stakeholders to promote a compelling brand platform to potential donors through marketing and messaging materials
- Develop and oversee a prospect research function for the department
- Maintain and manage current funder relationships
- Cultivate new partnerships and potential donors
- Oversee grant writing and reporting activities
- Manage all fundraising events, including planning and execution
- Lead and manage direct solicitations of donors
- Oversee in-kind donation programs
Staff and Volunteer Management
- Oversee the marketing and communication function of Samaritan Inns
- Collaborate with the President and CEO in making presentations in the community to promote Samaritan Inns
- Oversee all aspects of staff and volunteer management
- Conduct team building, hiring, mentoring, and performance evaluations
- Oversee the vibrant volunteer program
- Engage in the community to expand and build partnerships for fundraising and institutional building
- Work with outside counsel in the first six months, contributing to various tasks
- Assist in crafting a powerful Case for Support for the organization
- Develop office systems and functions, including gift processing, prospect and donor histories, general stewardship, and fundraising reporting to create efficiencies and streamline processes
- Bachelor’s degree in business, communications, or a related field is required
- Minimum eight years of non-profit fundraising in the Washington, DC region
- Solid commitment to building a fundraising program with demonstrated experience in:
- Annual Giving/Membership
- Major and Leadership Gift Work and Growth
- Special Events
- Fundraising Database
- Capital Campaign experience desirable.
- Understanding and experience within the Washington, DC philanthropic community
- Strong writing skills
- Strong business and relationship management skills
- Basic knowledge of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Proficient in traditional and innovative fundraising techniques
- Experience in face-to-face solicitation, proposal writing, planning special events, and solicitation through phone, direct mail, and digital solicitation
- Strong interpersonal skills
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with experience. The salary range is $150,000 - $160,000. Samaritan Inns provides a generous benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance; vacation and sick leave; 11 holidays; one birthday holiday; flexible spending plan; participation in a tax-deferred annuity plan; and life insurance. All staff are encouraged to participate in continuing professional development opportunities.