Digital Communications Director
Remote, open to EST and CST time zones (Washington, D.C. or New York, NY preferred)
ABOUT JOINT CENTER
The Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies, America’s Black think tank, provides compelling and actionable policy solutions to eradicate persistent and evolving barriers to the complete freedom of Black people in America. We are the trusted forum for leading experts and scholars to participate in primary public policy debates and promote ideas that advance Black communities. We use evidence-based research, analysis, convenings, and strategic communications to support Black communities and a network of allies. Currently, the Joint Center focuses on the future of work in Black communities, the impact of economic policies on Black communities in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, technology policy and Black communities, and congressional staff diversity.
For more information about the Joint Center: https://jointcenter.org/
The Joint Center recognizes the value of strategic communications and is investing significantly in this area. We are building out the Communications department to rival Communications departments at the nation’s top 10 think tanks. We are focused on thought leadership development, making data, analysis, and research accessible, and deepening engagement with audiences ranging from policymakers to funders.
The Joint Center’s Digital Communications Director is a new position designed to articulate and oversee the organization's digital strategy, creating paths to engagement and serving as an online brand ambassador. The Director is innovative, results-oriented, and data-driven, with an expert understanding of social media.
Reporting to the Vice President, Communications, the Director is responsible for stewarding the Joint Center’s brand on all social media platforms and ensuring that our messaging and visual identity is consistently expressed across all audience touch points. The Director drives awareness of the Joint Center’s brand via our owned digital platforms and social media; designs and implements all digital marketing programs (direct marketing, advertising) that grow and diversify the Joint Center’s audiences (social media communities, email subscribers, website visitors), and creates meaningful content that shares the story of the Joint Center with broad audiences.
The Digital Communications Director will embody the Joint Center’s cultural principles, including a deep commitment to healthy, growing, and empowering Black communities in the United States and an unapologetic focus on prioritizing Black people and disseminating accurate data research and solutions that reflect Black interests.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- The Digital Communications Director leads comprehensive and strategic digital engagement, social media marketing, and engagement programs efforts across all digital channels, from paid advertising to social media to web to digital design, to serve the Joint Center’s mission and help achieve the goals in our strategic plan
- Oversees daily management of the Joint Center’s social media profiles, including but not limited to Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube
- Collaboratively works across the organization to create and nurture a unique "voice and personality" for the Joint Center on social media and aligns strategic priorities, ensuring a more cohesive brand identity and a steady stream of engaging content to dramatically increase with notable followers the Joint Center’s social media base, engagement, and reach
- Defines objectives and key results and implements enterprise-level measurement, analytics, and reporting methods to gauge the success of digital and social media communication tactics; reports high-level takeaways to senior leadership and interprets results to Joint Center staff
- Develops and implements a clear and coherent digital communications strategy that marries the Joint Center’s communications and programmatic goals, including establishing metrics for success
- Serves as the Joint Center’s lead strategist for digital marketing and campaigning, builds relationships throughout the Joint Center, including the Policy and Development teams, partnering with them to translate their goals into actionable and strategic digital engagement campaigns
- Leads special projects as needed, which cut across teams and functions within Communications, with digital strategy playing a central role in our work
- The Director recognizes the importance and growing role of social media as the organization works to effectively communicate to multiple audiences over many and increasing distribution channels
- Supports the VP of Communications in developing strategies
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The hiring salary range is $120,000 - $140,000. The Joint Center offers a generous benefits package, including medical/dental/life insurance, annual leave, sick leave, and federal holidays.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- A minimum of 10-12 years of relevant professional experience with responsibilities including strategic communications, advertising, promotions, digital strategy, social media management, and online user experience
- Mission-driven and interested in the advancement of Black communities
- A solid understanding of the DC policy experience as it relates to policymakers
- Solid experience and proven success using paid advertising, specifically in Facebook Ads Manager and Google Adwords
- Ability to develop and test messaging, identifying, and deploying tools and software to track quantitative and qualitative metrics and key milestones that demonstrate the performance and effectiveness of digital strategies
- Excellent writing skills and strong communications experience who can adeptly distill research into a tweet, develop digital marketing strategies, and take digital storytelling to the next level
- A demonstrated understanding of graphics, design, and video software (photoshop and other video creation and editing platforms)
- A record of being at the front edge of social media innovation
- A history of using data and analytics to drive decisions
- Experience with Falcon or similar social media listening platforms, design, and video software (photoshop and other video creation and editing platforms), including Asana
- Excellent verbal skills to effectively communicate within the organization
- Proficiency in HTML and experience with WordPress or a similar content management system
- Experience with newsletter software, such as Mailchimp
- Great attention to detail with a solid performance in producing materials under deadline and without errors
- A task-oriented style with a focus on achieving clear and ambitious goals
- Demonstrated ability to meet multiple deadlines by maintaining a high level of organization and managing time effectively
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and manage productive relationships with members of the Joint Center’s communications, programmatic, and leadership teams, consultants, and others involved in developing or implementing the communications efforts of the Joint Center and
- Excellent listening skills. Ability to exhibit skills of diplomacy. Able to work productively as part of a team and individually as well as with a wide array of people throughout the institution
Remote work is allowed, but candidates should be located in the Eastern or Central time zones and be willing to travel regularly to Washington, DC.
Applications are accepted until the position is filled.
The Joint Center is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status.