Director of Equity, Justice, Diversity and Inclusion
About Legal Aid
The Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia
As DC’s oldest and largest civil legal services program, Legal Aid’s mission is to make justice real—in individual and systemic ways—for persons living in poverty in the District of Columbia. Our clients are individuals and families, predominantly of color, in need of legal assistance in areas ranging from housing and domestic violence law to public benefits and consumer law. Legal Aid attorneys provide our clients with high-quality, zealous legal representation, while also seeking systemic solutions to the problems they face, through litigation, court reform, and legislative and agency advocacy.
The Director of Equity, Justice, Diversity and Inclusion (EJDI) is a newly created position who will report to the Executive Director as a member of the senior leadership team. This position will collaborate with Legal Aid’s staff, Board, clients, and partners to support the organization’s commitment to a more equitable, just, diverse, and inclusive culture. The Director will build on the existing strategy, focusing on developing and overseeing the execution of specific EJDI strategies into the organization’s day-to-day operations (e.g., recruiting, onboarding, training, compensation, performance reviews, professional development opportunities). The Director will work collaboratively across all departments, serving as a thought partner to establish clearly defined policies and practices that reflect EJDI principles. The Director will provide formal trainings and evaluations to ensure continuous learning and accountability.
Legal Aid is seeking a professional with demonstrated experience successfully developing and leading a EJDI strategy. The top candidate must possess high emotional intelligence and a collaborative, constructive, and results-oriented leadership style.
- Review and assess Legal Aid’s current policies and practices through an equity lens.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to develop a EJDI strategy customized to the specific needs of Legal Aid and clearly defined and communicated across the organization.
- Develop and help implement policies and practices that foster a more equitable, just, diverse, and inclusive culture; provide training and ongoing learning development opportunities for individuals and teams to advance their cultural competencies.
- Lead the Racial Justice and LGBTQ+ working groups to develop and achieve clear, actionable, and sustainable goals.
- Develop metrics and a tracking system to assess the effectiveness of Racial Equity, Justice, Diversity and Inclusion initiatives; report on progress and make recommendations for improvements.
- Provide guidance, counsel, training, and resolution on personnel matters such as performance challenges and intra-staff or supervisor-supervisee conflicts, following up with solutions and EJDI best practices.
Salary and Benefits:
The target salary is $130,000. Generous benefits package includes fully paid health insurance (for the employee), annual discretionary retirement match, vacation days, sick leave, personal days, and ten paid federal/local holidays.
(Note: As a result of the public health emergency, Legal Aid is currently operating remotely, and, depending on current circumstances, the individual hired for the position may start their employment working remotely.)
Legal Aid values an inclusive and diverse workplace. We encourage applications from interested persons from diverse backgrounds of any race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, or any other legally protected status. We strongly encourage applications from people with personal experience with the criminal justice system and/or lived experiences in the communities we serve. Interested persons are encouraged to apply immediately and should submit a letter of interest and resume.
Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted. The position remains open until filled.
- Authentic personal and professional commitment to social, economic, and racial justice.
- Proven experience and expertise leading Racial Equity, Justice, Diversity and Inclusion issues in an organizational setting. An eagerness to challenge and influence peers to approach all work with an equity lens.
- A collaborative leadership style and ability to work effectively across diverse teams.
- Exceptional cultural competency and interpersonal communication skills.
- Proven skills in facilitation, training, and conflict resolution, and equity-informed mediation skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and experience managing complex programs and projects and working with individuals across an organization.
For more information about Legal Aid, please visit www.LegalAidDC.org
, and blog, www.MakingJusticeReal.org