Education Program Associate
A Washington, DC-based family foundation seeks a Program Associate to help drive its impact efforts in education, specifically post-secondary preparation and education, college persistence, and pathways to work for youth from under-resourced communities.
The Foundation focuses its grantmaking on two primary areas: education and medical research. Since 2013, the Foundation has worked to amplify the impact of organizations focused on education as well as catalyze medical discovery across a number of global research universities. The Education Program Associate will play a critical role in the Foundation’s continued growth and impact with its Education portfolio. This position will report to the Executive Director and the Foundation President and collaborate with Foundation leadership in developing, monitoring and expanding the education grant portfolio.
The ideal candidate is passionate about changing the trajectories of youth from under-resourced communities, has a strong interest in secondary and post-secondary education, has a record of success with research and analysis, and brings experience working collaboratively with a small results-driven team. The Associate is an excellent communicator, a resourceful self-starter, and will thrive in an external role representing the foundation with partners and grantees.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Manage the education grants process: research and identification of promising projects and grantees, evaluation and review, grant agreements, reporting, monitoring and evaluation.
- Provide technical assistance to grantees, and contribute information towards the Foundation’s knowledge-building and grant review process.
- Attend progress report meetings at grantee organizations; attend regular update meetings with Foundation leadership to evaluate impact.
- Research areas of current and potential focus for grant opportunities.
- Work with education grantees to receive all reporting materials, including IRS compliant grant receipts.
- Assess the success of grants and their impact, and continuously learn from/improve work based on research, grant results, and work with experts.
Research and Knowledge Management
- Conduct research and analysis on college and career success pathways, gaining a deep understanding of leaders in the field.
- Contribute to the Foundation’s knowledge in education and maintain relationships with individuals and organizations that can provide information and insight to enhance effectiveness.
- Provide regular reports on recent education and post secondary regional and national news to Foundation leadership, including Board of Directors.
Strategy and Operations
- Think creatively and strategically about growth opportunities, including potential convenings or gatherings to advance progress in post secondary education.
- Support the Executive Director and the President in grantmaking operations and communications.
- Maintain an open and transparent dialogue with the Executive Director and the President.
- At times represent the Foundation at partner/grantee meetings or relevant convenings and conferences.
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- At least 5 years of work experience, preferably in non-profit or philanthropy sectors
- A passion for education and positive outcomes for youth
- Self-starter with strong organizational skills, highly professional communication skills, and rigorous attention to detail
- A successful record of cultivating and managing relationships with education leaders in the non-profit community