Senior Director, Philanthropy
About Out Teach
Out Teach believes that education in the United States needs to be re-imagined to better serve students of all backgrounds, especially those from our most vulnerable communities. STEM careers are some of the fastest-growing and highest-paying jobs today, presenting both access to economic mobility, and in the absence of impactful Science education, a driver of inequality and lack of diversity in the STEM workforce pipeline. To re-engage students in their learning and seize the opportunity to re-invent education during COVID-recovery, Out Teach works with schools, districts, and community partners to engage students in meaningful, real-world learning. Outdoor learning – particularly when infused with a science curriculum – is a proven solution for unlocking student achievement. Out Teach provides personalized training and ongoing support to teachers using Outdoor Learning Labs for effective, hands-on instruction. This ultimately improves the overall quality and quantity of science in the school day, leading to improved student outcomes in STEM, 21st Century Skills, Social & Emotional Learning, and beyond.
This is an exciting and critical time to join the Out Teach team. Within the past five years, Out Teach has expanded its reach from one to four geographic regions – Texas, the Mid-Atlantic, the Carolinas, and Southeast – and launched a bold new strategic plan that emphasizes depth and access to Out Teach's program. Now, more than ever, school districts across the country see a need for safe and effective outdoor learning. Out Teach fills that gap.
For more information about Out Teach, please visit www.out-teach.org
The Senior Director, Philanthropy (Senior Director) will serve as a senior member of the 11-person revenue team, working across the organization to drive growth with institutional partners and individual donors. Reporting to the Vice President of Partnerships and Growth and working closely with the CEO, the Director will manage a team of two and is a critical external representative of Out Teach within the philanthropic community. The Senior Director will steward current partners, understanding their philanthropic goals and priorities and their history with Out Teach, and cultivate longer-term relationships that grow over time. The Senior Director will also proactively identify and develop new regional and national philanthropic and individual donors. This position focuses on growth for an organization during an exciting growth strategy.
The Senior Director will be a high-level individual contributor, working to develop and guide a multi-year fundraising strategy, directly engaging with national and regional foundations as well as individual funders. The Senior Director is responsible for overseeing all proposals and agreements and managing all aspects of grant stewardship, communication, and reporting. The Senior Director is expected to actively contribute to Out Teach's $5M annual operating budget, which will grow to $8M+ in 2024.
The ideal candidate believes deeply in Out Teach's mission and can serve as an authentic storyteller and relationship builder with new donors and partners. They are an assertive self-starter who thrives working independently and as a collaborative team member who shares values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive philanthropic strategy that supports Out Teach's strategic plan to generate gifts from private sector foundations, family foundations, and individual donors
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit new foundation prospects while overseeing the stewardship of existing donors
- Oversee key relationships supporting national and regional program initiatives as well as relationships supporting growth
- Develop and maintain in-depth knowledge of the organization, mission, programs, activities, resources, and fundraising needs
- Develop and execute strategies for the ongoing cultivation of influential stakeholders in the foundation grant-making community
- Collaborate with the CEO in the development and execution of a longer-term growth plan for foundation funding
- Work closely with program staff and across the organization to continually improve the packaging of ongoing programs and services and develop concepts and cases of support for new initiatives
- Manage a team of two development officers, providing clear goals, coaching, and support
- Help manage the administration of current grants, including tracking proposal submission and reporting deadlines, updating internal financial tracking and audit reporting systems, collecting information from program staff, working with the finance department on grant expense reconciliation and reporting, and maintaining donors' hard and electronic files
- Maintain and cultivate regional funding relationships within Out Teach's geographical regions
- Work with Out Teach Board members and other essential volunteers to identify and develop relationships with foundations
- Bachelor's degree, or relevant experience, and a minimum of 7+ years of experience working with nonprofit organizations
- The ability to represent and embody Out Teach's leadership and values – including the commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity – cultivating a direct relationship with funders and potential funders
- A data-driven leader who values and uses data and tools for analysis, and a record of success driving a culture of data across the team and department
- Broad knowledge of the nonprofit sector, including an understanding of sub-segments within the industry and knowledge of emerging trends within the sector
- Experience navigating and raising funds from national and regional philanthropic partners
- Experience raising funds for K12 education with an understanding and focus on creating equity in education
- An existing portfolio of relationships with funders interested in nonprofit leadership desirable but not expected
- A record of success working individually as a self-starter and as a member of a collaborative team
- A creative, entrepreneurial leader with a strong growth-mindset and with experience managing change
- A high-level performer who thinks strategically and sees the big picture but remains attentive to details, deadlines, and deliverables. This work's high-profile and complex nature will require someone with leadership and management skills, a robust collaborative instinct, and an entrepreneurial spirit