Director, Equity, Diversity and Belonging
Brief Summary of Position:
KaBOOM! is seeking a Director of Equity, Diversity and Belonging (EDB) that will provide strategic, tactical and leadership direction across the organization for all equity and diversity matters and be a key strategic partner for the entire leadership team, talent management, and staff. The Director will be responsible for the development and implementation of policies, programs, and initiatives that create an equitable, diverse and inclusive work environment, giving everyone the opportunity to grow, achieve and thrive. At KaBOOM!, we are committed to creating a work environment that fosters equity of experience and opportunity and ensures that staff of all backgrounds feel welcome, valued and supported.
This role ensures equity, diversity and belonging are integrated into our organizational culture, values, norms, policies, and practices, including the complete talent lifecycle of recruitment; learning, development and growth; performance management; and retention.
Duties and Responsibilities:
A Skilled Equity Leader
A Gifted Communicator and Diplomat
- Create strategies that promote an equitable and diverse work environment that is safe, welcoming and inclusive.
- Develop and implement organization-wide support for people-managers to create equitable and inclusive team environments.
- Serve as subject matter lead on equity, diversity and belonging, advising and working as an integral member of the organizational leadership team to deliver on our mission and vision.
- Establish and maintain on-going relationships with peers at key partner and other organizations.
A Partner to Talent and Leadership
- Lead, build on and enhance organizational equity, diversity and belonging initiatives in ways that advance collaboration and cohesion across initiatives and across the organization.
- Collaborate with the entire leadership team to create, implement and monitor efforts designed to ensure equity, diversity and a sense of belonging for staff.
- Stay closely connected to internal climate, as well as local and broader trends relevant to equity, diversity and belonging, in order to anticipate and address future needs, challenges and opportunities.
- Work collaboratively with the entire leadership team, people-managers and all staff to implement leading talent practices related to equity, diversity and belonging, including recruitment; learning, development and growth; performance management; and retention.
- Serve as a strategic advisor in talent acquisition with a focus on building a strong diverse pipeline of candidates across all levels and functions of the organization. Provide strategic support to department leaders and hiring managers throughout the hiring process to ensure equitable, diverse and effective hiring practices. Develop and implement a clear, compelling, and inclusive onboarding process that grounds all new employees in our shared values and norms.
- Develop and implement a holistic and comprehensive equity/diversity/belonging learning, development and growth strategy for leadership, people-managers and staff, including approaches that support people-managers in creating equitable, diverse, and inclusive team environments.
- Ensure the development and use of performance management achieves the goals and objectives of the organization by emphasizing equity, diversity and belonging throughout the annual review cycle.
A Driver of Transparency and Accountability
Preferred Experience, Abilities and Attributes
- Prioritize transparency on processes and policies to advance equity, diversity and belonging.
- Develop and manage internal communication plans to update staff on challenges and progress made regarding equity, diversity and belonging.
- Use both qualitative and quantitative data to support and drive efforts that advance equitable experiences and equitable access to resources, professional development and growth opportunities for staff.
- Stay connected internally and externally, leveraging data, insights, and industry trends to lead, influence, support, and facilitate organizational change to foster equity, diversity and belonging.
Essential Functions of Job:
- Direct experience advancing equity, diversity and belonging in complex organizations, including influencing peers to approach all work with an equity lens.
- Knowledge of contemporary issues of racial equity, diversity, inclusion, anti-racism and social justice.
- Deep content knowledge of racial equity, structural and institutional racism, diversity and inclusion research and leading practices for organizations striving to become more equitable, diverse, and inclusive.
- Exceptional interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills; ability to quickly establish credibility to develop productive relationships with internal stakeholders across the organization.
- Experience working with community-focused and/or youth-serving organizations driving impact.
- Broad knowledge of other areas of talent management, including recruitment; learning, development and growth; performance management; retention; and employee engagement.
- Ability to support the professional development of staff, particularly people-managers, in operating with an equity lens.
- A set of values characterized by humility, accountability, partnership, play and responsive leadership.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must have the ability to maintain acceptable standards of office conduct and work cooperatively as an effective team member of a diverse workforce. The employee typically sits or moves about to coordinate work along with using a computer and other office equipment.
This job description does not constitute an employee agreement between the employer and the employee; this description is subject to change by the employer as the needs and requirements of the job change.