Senior Vice President, People
Ocean Conservancy seeks an experienced human resources executive, with particular expertise in leading justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) initiatives, to develop and implement a comprehensive HR strategy that supports our talented team. The SVP is responsible for ensuring clear and consistent policies and efficient systems in all HR areas, including recruiting, professional development, performance management, compensation and benefits, and legal compliance. As leader of the JEDI task force, the SVP will play a critical role in advancing Ocean Conservancy’s commitment to JEDI.
The ideal candidate will bring high emotional intelligence with a collaborative, constructive, and results-oriented leadership style. They will be flexible and creative in addressing challenges and identifying solutions. The SVP must bring exceptional communication skills and a strong command of technology.
The position is based in Washington, D.C. with occasional travel to regional offices.
- Review, assess, and strengthen Ocean Conservancy’s human resources policies, systems, and procedures to consistently reflect the organization’s strategy, values, culture, and commitment to JEDI
- Develop and implement a comprehensive HR strategy with best practices in recruiting, professional development, performance management, compensation and benefits, and legal compliance
- Lead the JEDI task force to develop and achieve clear, actionable, and sustainable goals
- Work closely with the CEO and Executive Team to build a collaborative, healthy, and sustainable culture
- Serve as Ocean Conservancy’s primary liaison with the Roger Arliner Young Fellowship program managed by the Environmental Leadership Program
- 15 or more years of professional experience, including 8 or more years of demonstrated success in an executive leadership role
- Proven record of experience building justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in an organizational setting
- A collaborative leadership style and ability to work effectively across diverse teams
- Exceptional cultural competency and interpersonal communication skills
- Proven skills in facilitation, training, and conflict resolution and equity-informed mediation skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, second languages highly appreciated
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or some other portion of the selection process, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.