Chief Operating Officer
About Prosperity Now
Prosperity Now is a national nonprofit based in Washington, DC, dedicated to expanding economic opportunity for low- and moderate- income families and communities in the United States. Since 1979, we have helped make it possible for millions of people, especially people of color and those of limited incomes, to achieve financial security, stability and, ultimately, prosperity. We offer a unique combination of scalable practical solutions, in-depth research, and proven policy solutions, all aimed at building wealth for those who need it most.
Prosperity Now’s Chief Operating Officer (COO) is a newly redesigned leadership position responsible for ensuring the organization has the internal leadership, culture, and systems to achieve its mission. As a member of the Executive Leadership Team (ELT), reporting to and serving as a key strategic partner to the President, the COO will co-create a vision of success for running the organization that inspires staff and creates adaptive systems to support the organization’s mission and values. The COO must bring a demonstrated record of experience building and empowering teams, creating and implementing innovative solutions in human resources, IT, and the day-to-day administration of a 60-person office. Collaborating with other members of the ELT, the COO will lead Prosperity Now’s organizational development, including ensuring our culture continues to align with our values and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. The top candidate will have high emotional intelligence, exceptional interpersonal communication skills, and a proven passion for Prosperity Now’s mission.
Operations, Human Resources, and IT
- Refine organizational systems and structures to promote cross-team collaboration, communication, and remove barriers between teams.
- Lead and optimize the effectiveness of all internal managers, ensuring staff live up to Prosperty Now’s core values and meeting the organization’s strategic vision.
- Ensure effective communication of priority issues and projects, including overseeing the production of regular staff meetings, and promoting organizational learning across the organization.
- As a member of the ELT, support the development of the strategic plan.
- Conduct special projects for the CEO as needed.
Culture and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Own the vision and accountability for the annual performance of the organization’s Human Resources, IT, and Administrative staff promoting customer service, systems, and processes that reflect best practices and enable Prosperity Now to deliver on its mission.
- Ensure the delivery of effective human resource management policies, programs, practices and initiatives aligned with organizational and strategic priorities. Ensure high quality HR functions including recruitment, benefits administration, performance management, professional development, compensation, employee relations, records management and fair employment practices compliance. Develop a robust succession plan for mission-critical positions to ensure organizational stability and sustainability.
- Oversee the IT function and ensure the ongoing maintenance and updating of systems and architecture, including hardware, networking, and applications, to effectively serve the internal and mission-facing needs of the organization. Initiate the use of innovative, proactive integration of technology solutions to support of program imperatives.
- Oversee the organization’s risk management and compliance responsibilities, implementing policies and systems to ensure the organization adheres to all relevant regulations
- Ensure the necessary technology, security protocols, and office infrastructure are in place to support a growing organization
Experience, Skills, and Personal Attributes
- Promote a culture of excellence, inclusiveness, and accountability. Build leadership practices that support the recruitment, development, engagement, and retention of a talented workforce.
- Lead, model, and embed diversity, equity, and inclusion across all areas of Prosperity Now
- Carry out initiatives on best practices in organizational management, leadership development, and workforce planning. Coach senior staff on performance management
- Develop and strengthen internal and external relationships among the leadership team and with the organization’s staff.
- Demonstrated commitment to expanding economic opportunity for low- and moderate- income families and communities in the United States
- 10+ years of executive management experience overseeing human resources, operations, and IT
- Experience managing, developing, and coaching teams; prioritizes building authentic and respectful relationships with all colleagues
- A strategic, analytical, and tactical thinker, with a demonstrated capacity to successfully problem solve, plan, and facilitate growth in a complex environment
- Confidence and capability to adapt and lead in a fast-paced, changing environment while also navigating ambiguity and change
- Effective and persuasive communicator, both oral and written, with exceptional emotional intelligence
- Unquestionable personal and professional integrity, humility, positive demeanor, and a sense of humor
- Experience developing and implementing diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives\
Prosperity Now is an Equal Opportunity Employer, where we encourage candidates of all ages, color, ethnic background, country of origin, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity to apply.