Director of Foundations & Strategic Partnerships
KaBOOM! is looking for a passionate, self- motivated team player to join the Partnership Development team in Washington, D.C. The Director of Strategic Partnerships is an integral member of the Partnership Development team and is responsible for securing funding from new national, regional and state-focused foundations to increase and diversify our revenue over time. The incumbent will play a vital role in expanding the funding base of KaBOOM! by identifying and securing new foundation partnerships, developing and delivering compelling cases for support, and shepherding prospective funding partners through every phase of the cultivation cycle. The ideal candidate will have a strong sense of agency and leadership to advance opportunities forward by working in close partnership with our Corporate, Programs, and City Partnerships teams. The director will play a critical role in steering and growing our portfolio of foundation relationships towards large-scale partnerships, strategic initiatives, and other sustainable growth strategies.
What you will do:
What you will have:
- Work as part of a new foundations team to develop and secure strategic philanthropic partnerships that will help advance our mission to close the play equity gap
- Help meet community play infrastructure needs through our growing menu of play solutions by identifying and securing six- and seven-figure grants that will allow us to reach communities at scale
- Secure seven-to-eight figure, multi-year in revenue through the development and cultivation of key relationships with the foundations funding community
- Write and deliver compelling grant proposals and presentations, provide reports to funders, and identify new prospects
- Stay abreast of philanthropic trends and proactively identify funding opportunities in collaboration with the public and private sectors
- Understand the landscape of play among mission-aligned organizations and funders to explore possible partnerships, particularly ones that are aligned with core thematic areas, such as early learning, neighborhood revitalization, disaster recovery, and health equity
- Collaborate with KaBOOM! colleagues to secure funding that supports the organization's strategic goals and advances our sustainable growth and innovation priorities
- Actively contribute to our equity-informed and inclusive work environment by valuing other people regardless of differences and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion, and cultural competence.
KaBOOM! is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that is dedicated to giving all kids – regardless of color or zip code – the childhood they deserve through great, safe places to play. We prioritize diversity, equity and inclusion as an integral part of our culture. We strongly encourage people of color (including bilingual and bicultural), all genders and gender identities, people of all abilities, LGBTQ individuals, veterans and national service alumni to apply.
- Bachelor's degree and at least 10 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified. Proven experience in securing and managing funder relationships with national, regional and state-focused foundations, with a focus on health equity, disaster recovery, and early childhood education funders a plus; developing public private partnerships; managing and growing a portfolio of multi-year foundation grants
- Deep understanding of the foundation funding environment, with an exceptional ability to build strong cases for support that align with funder priorities, and creating a common purpose across multiple stakeholders that result in the resources and revenue required to advance what is possible through our work
- Proven record of success in cultivating and growing existing funder relationships
- Proven ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial setting with aggressive deadlines; management of multiple priorities and projects at once, while balancing long-term goals with daily demands
- Exceptional and persuasive written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills with the ability to effectively interface with staff, community leaders and senior level executives.
- A sharp mind, top-notch critical thinking and organizational capabilities, adept at quickly absorbing information from various angles, always keeping an eye on the big picture while maintaining superior attention to detail
- High level of integrity, trust and accountability along with excellent judgment, intuition, and common sense as well as the right blend of professional confidence with a keen sense of diplomacy
- Collaborative, team-oriented work style with self-motivation and drive to get the job done with little supervision
- Excitement for an environment that balances fun and professionalism
- Ability to travel up to 30%