Chief Program Officer
About Byte Back
Byte Back’s mission is to provide a pathway of inclusive tech training that leads to living-wage careers. The communities we serve — predominantly people of color, women, and unemployed or underemployed adults — have an incredible and untapped potential to enter living-wage careers and change the tech sector. We are one of the only organizations in the country providing a pathway of training at all levels, from introductory computer classes to industry-recognized certification courses. Byte Back’s innovative approach was recognized with two WeWork Creator Awards. In 2019, Byte Back expanded from Washington, DC to Baltimore, MD and is exploring national expansion, thanks to the $775,000 TD Ready Challenge award and other national grants.
The Chief Program Officer (CPO) is a newly created position responsible for ensuring that Byte Back students receive the education and job training necessary to obtain livable wage employment. In collaboration with the Executive Director, the CPO will develop and articulate the strategic vision for Byte Back’s programs, establish clearly defined goals, and provide management and coaching of our talented program staff. As a critical member of the executive management team, the CPO will participate in organization-wide decision-making, represent Byte Back in the community, and help nurture an internal culture of collaboration and commitment to our values. In addition, they will raise Byte Back’s profile through external communication and enhance the structure of Byte Back by staying up-to-date on developments in workforce development and technology education in the Greater Washington DC area. Top candidates will bring a demonstrated record of developing and leading successful nonprofit programs.
- Oversee the strategic development and implementation of Byte Back’s tech training and job placement program across all sites, including student recruitment, retention, certification rates, and success moving students into living wage careers.
- Meet and/or exceed organizational goals set for programs across all sites.
- Directly supervise key program staff, including site directors and program managers.
- Create and support a high performing culture in the program department aligned with org values, mission, and impact objectives.
- Serve as program liaison to key agencies, funders, and stakeholders.
- Along with the Executive Director, represent Byte Back at local and national conferences and with key partners to increase Byte Back’s brand, thought leadership, and impact.
Program Oversight & Responsibilities
- Oversee the coordination, integration, and delivery of all programs, contracts, partnership agreements, and related services.
- In partnership with the fund development team, respond to requests for proposals through program design and communication.
- Work with the Finance Director to budget and monitor programmatic operations to ensure sound fiscal and system management.
- Ensure the delivery of qualitative and quantitative goals and outcomes of programs.
- Coordinate and analyze the appropriate data to inform the programmatic and operational decision-making process.
- Use the existing Salesforce CRM platform to increase efficiency, transparency, and collaborative efforts among teams. Deepen existing and create new performance and outcome measures for outreach and recruitment, completion rates, employment, retention, training and enrollment.
- Evaluate staff capacity and plans to achieve program goals and objectives. Participate in hiring decisions for new program staff.
- Communicate with executive team on program needs.
- Lead Board of Directors program committee.
- Additional duties as designated/assigned.
- At least 5 years of executive leadership experience in a nonprofit organization
- Experience leading the strategy and implementation of successful nonprofit programs, ideally in the field of adult education.
- Proven record building effective partnerships with workforce development and social services providers, government agencies, funders, and employer partners.
- Demonstrated experience managing a high-performing team in a multi-site organizational structure to include professional development.
- Comprehensive working knowledge of program planning, organizational structure, budgeting, and administrative operations.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and compile complex data for planning and reporting purposes.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, with the ability to represent Byte Back externally across a wide range of stakeholders and constituencies.