THE DC AFFORDABLE LAW FIRM
About The DC Affordable Law Firm
The DC Affordable Law Firm (DCALF) is a non-profit law firm whose mission is to provide high quality, affordable legal services to Washington D.C. residents with unmet legal needs who do not qualify for free legal representation and are unable to pay prevailing legal rates. Created in 2015 through a joint venture among the Georgetown University Law Center, DLA Piper, and Arent Fox, DCALF is staffed by recent law graduates who are enrolled in a 15-month Fellowship. Incoming fellows receive 12 weeks of intensive training prior to representing clients in family law, immigration, and estate planning cases. DCALF lawyers are supervised by the current Executive Director and by pro bono lawyers from DLA Piper, Arent Fox, and other DC-licensed lawyers. During its first four years, DCALF has handled more than 800 client matters receiving referrals from a variety of legal aid agencies and D.C. courts. DCALF is one of the first fee charging law firms in the country to receive a 501c3 designation and operate as a nonprofit organization.
About the Position
DCALF is seeking a full-time Executive Director who is a passionate attorney and leader with a record of practice in legal services, preferably in D.C. Superior Court and/or Immigration Court, with experience in effectively leading an organization, department, initiative and has an interest in shaping and mentoring law graduates as they enter the legal profession. The Executive Director will oversee all aspects of DCALF, including strategic planning, financial and operational leadership, community outreach, attorney and staff supervision, and leading DCALF through its next phase of growth. The Executive Director will report to a Board of Directors.
This position is based in Washington, D.C.
- Ensure the provision of high quality of legal services;
- In conjunction with DCALF’s Board of Directors, design and implement organizational strategy;
- Identify new and creative ways to expand DCALF’s services, while honoring its mission;
- Secure DCALF’s sustainability through sound planning and expanded financial support;
- Supervise the work of lawyers in a way that fosters development of excellent lawyering and litigation skills;
- Build close working relationships with key organizational stakeholders, legal aid providers and community organizations; and
- Communicate and collaborate with the Board of Directors, maintaining active engagement and dialogue on all critical administrative and operational issues relating to the organization.
- JD and DC Bar membership, with a minimum of five years of experience;
- Demonstrated experience representing clients in one or more of DCALF’s practice areas;
- Record of passionate advocacy for the legal rights of low-income persons;
- Management experience in a law firm, legal services, or other similar organization;
- Record of decisive leadership capabilities;
- Ability to manage and supervise newly-licensed lawyers;
- Demonstrated ability to engage in fundraising; and
- Ability to work collaboratively with the DCALF Board of Directors and with members of the DC Consortium of Legal Aid Providers.