National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
Associate Director, Development
NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness. What started as a small group of families gathered around a kitchen table in 1979 has blossomed into the nation's leading voice on mental health. Today, we are an association of 600 state and local affiliates who advocating for better treatments and access to mental health care, fight stigma for individuals and facilities impacted by mental health.
The Associate Director of Development is responsible for executing, managing and overseeing fundraising activities that meet the individual donor revenue goals for the organization. This is done by implementing a major donor cultivation and upgrade program, personally managing a portfolio of major donors and planned giving prospects and managing the Development Team’s core operations and processes. As our cause moves into the national spotlight, NAMI is reaching and serving more people than ever before. Consequently, we have seen significant year-over-year growth in our Individual Giving and Major Donor programs for the past three years, so this is an exciting opportunity for an experienced and entrepreneurial development professional to advance his/her career as part of a high-performing team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and oversee a major gifts program to grow the base of individual donors and upgrade their levels of support
- Shape and influence donor stewardship and recognition activities with particular emphasis on onboarding new and major donors
- Manage a portfolio of major donors and prospects to include strategic cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors who make four- and five-figure gifts
- Plan and implement major donor events
- Manage cultivation and stewardship of the Planned Giving pipeline
- Supports the day-to-day management of the individual giving team’s operations by ensuring appropriate systems, processes and procedures are in place to support and measure progress toward fundraising goals.
- Supervises the Development Coordinator
- Travel extensively to meet with donors and prospects
- Write proposals, reports, and other donor materials
- Provide high-level support to CEO by offering sound strategy, staffing calls and meetings and performing follow up
- Cultivate strong and collaborative relationships with staff/teams across the organization
- Work closely with program staff to thoroughly understand and expertly articulate NAMI’s mission, vision, and priorities to donors and prospects
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Minimum of seven years of nonprofit fundraising experience, including donor-facing experience. Proven record of securing five- and six-figure gifts.
- Skilled in managing projects and people
- Proven aptitude for writing compelling funding proposals, reports, and other donor stewardship communications
- Strong oral communication skills and an aptitude for forging strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Customer-service mindset with strong understanding of core development functions, donor stewardship practices, and events
- Results-driven, proactive problem-solver, capable of responding quickly and effectively to challenges and new opportunities; strong organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to independently manage time, multiple projects and competing priorities
- Proven ability to manage budgets effectively
- Ability to demonstrate discretion and hold sensitive information in confidence