Malala Fund is working toward a world where all girls can learn for 12 years and lead without fear. We advocate for resources and policy changes needed to give all girls a secondary education. The girls we serve have high goals for themselves — and we have high expectations for leaders who can help them. We invest in developing country education leaders and frontline organizations — the people who best understand girls in their communities — in regions where most girls are missing out on secondary school. We amplify girls’ voices. Malala Fund is building a movement of young education activists who, like Malala, speak truth to power around the world.
The Director of Development will serve as the senior-most development leader, reporting to the Chief Executive Officer and working closely with the staff and the Board of Directors to raise $15mn+ in annual revenue, comprised of funding from individuals, public/private foundations, corporations, digital supporters and other donors to support global education advocacy and programs. S/he will lead a team of five and will oversee all development activities to build Malala Fund’s visibility, impact and sustainability.
This position is an exciting and unique opportunity to build on a strong foundation and continue to expand an internationally recognized and respected organization during its early stages, making a lasting impact on Malala Fund for years to come. The ideal candidate is a visionary leader, a strategic thinker, has experience growing a development department, and is passionate about girls’ education. Up to 25% travel is required for this role.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks:
Development Planning & Oversight
- Develop, refine, and manage a fundraising plan that meets the short and long-term fiscal needs of the organization, regularly providing analysis about progress against goals to the Board and other senior leaders.
- Collaborate across departments to refine and create cases for support for advocacy and programs, as well as the Malala Fund’s work with girl advocates.
- Refine and implement donor stewardship plans.
- Work closely with the CEO, team, and Board of Directors to identify and cultivate new philanthropic opportunities.
- Support in the expansion of an Advisory Council comprised of high net worth individuals.
Leadership, Management & Operations
- Lead the day-to-day operations and execution of the Malala Fund’s fundraising strategy.
- Working with the CEO and Senior Leadership Team, provide leadership in developing and delivering the strategic direction and management of Malala Fund.
- Manage a staff of four, including associate director of development, development officer, digital fundraising manager, and development associate.
- Foster and grow a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization.
- Inform and manage the Development Department’s annual budget.
- Ensure adherence to Malala Fund policies by members of the Development Department.
Cultivation & Solicitation:
- Plan and attend meetings with current and potential supporters, and accompany the Malala Fund’s CEO at high-level fundraising meetings and major events.
- Build and manage a portfolio of relationships with prospective donors.
- In consultation with programs staff, oversee the preparation of grant proposals and progress reports to funders.
Experience and Attributes:
- 10+ years of nonprofit fundraising or related experience preferred.
- Successful track record of raising funds through major gifts.
- Excellent communications skills and a successful track record of identifying, building and sustaining strong relationships.
- Experience in fundraising efforts integrating marketing, communications and digital engagement.
- Financial acumen and the ability to develop and manage budgets and prepare financial reports.
- Strong writing, research, organizational and presentation skills.
- Strong strategic, interpersonal, negotiation and diplomacy skills, including a sense of humor.
- Malala Fund is committed to safeguarding children and does not employ staff whose background is not suitable for working with children. All employment is conditional upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks.