Director of Healthy Start
At Martha’s Table, we believe in the power of community – a strong community. For over 35 years, we have offered a continuum of support — through which we offer access to healthy food and quality education — to strengthen the lives of children and their families, and build stronger, healthier communities. Through our Healthy Start program, we provide nationally accredited, high-quality early education programming and the health and life supports to ensure a great start for children from 3 months to 13 years of age.
The Director of Healthy Start is a dynamic, passionate educational leader responsible for directing the Early Childhood Development program, Out of School Time program and Family Engagement and Education program, supervising its operations and outcomes and managing its staff and volunteers. The position, with oversight of the Chief Program Officer, develops the annual outcomes for the department and measures the performance of the department and its staff. This position is part of the senior management team and, with the other team members, will be involved in strategic planning, the promotion of its reputation, and the fulfillment of its mission. A full description of responsibilities will be provided to candidates who are interviewed for the position.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure the operation of high-quality education programming in two locations that is aimed at supporting strong children, strong families, and a strong community.
- Responsible for the attraction, retention, and support of a high-performing staff.
- Responsible for developing the leadership competencies of the Healthy Start leadership team.
- Responsible for designing, managing, and implementing critical operating and cost efficiencies within department’s budget.
- Responsible for department policies and practices that ensure a safe program for program participants, staff, and others in the space, including emergency plans.
- Foster a “culture of evaluation” and contribute to Martha’s Table capacity and efforts around organizational learning and knowledge management.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with external partners, including other non-profits, schools, government agencies, coalitions, funders, and other supporters.
The ideal candidate will be committed to Martha’s Table’s mission. He or she has a minimum of a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university, at least fifteen (15) credit hours from an accredited college or university in early childhood education or early childhood development, and experience working with children in a licensed District of Columbia Child Development Center or its equivalent in another jurisdiction. The candidate we are seeking has at least five years of supervisory and administrative experience working in ECE programs. This person has demonstrated strong leadership, management and organization and program design skills and a strong understanding of opportunities and challenges facing urban communities. Additionally, the ideal candidate has knowledge of OSSE and NAEYC licensing requirements; knowledge of DC Early Learning Standards; and knowledge of CLASS, ASQ and ASQ-SE, Creative Curriculum, Teaching Strategies GOLD. OSSE Trainer Certification highly desired.