Position Summary: With the gun violence prevention movement at an historic “tipping point,” the Brady Center is seeking a dynamic leader to provide leadership, strategic oversight, team management and coordination of all fundraising efforts to ensure the success of Brady in achieving its mission, strategic plan, campaigns and programs. This is a unique opportunity to join a team of specialized executives working to make a difference. The Chief Development Officer will report directly to the President and work closely with the rest of the Department Heads, including Communications, Development, Organizing and Policy. The organization has an audacious goal of doubling in size over the next three years and is looking for the right partner to help make that a reality. This position includes formal representation of the organization in both a corporate and programmatic role before organizations and donors. This position reports to the President and Chief Operating Officer.
The ideal candidate is an experienced professional with a successful track record of raising funds on a national level for an advocacy organization or related cause. This is a unique opportunity to contribute to an issue and organization of historic importance and help shape the national discourse on reducing gun violence in the United States.
- Work closely with the President, Chief Operating Officer and Board leadership to develop a strategic resource development plan that will meet and exceed Brady’s financial needs.
- Monitor philanthropic trends and develop short and long term fundraising plans and strategies aimed at maximizing contributed income from individuals, foundations and government agencies as appropriate.
- Participate as a member of the Senior Team, along with President, COO and Chief Strategy Officer, communicating resource development goals and objectives, and seeking opportunities for synergy with other organizational strategies to advance Brady’s mission and goals.
- Work closely with the President, Chief Operating Officer and Chief Strategy Officer to assess fundraising needs as determined by strategic plan goals, annual plan priorities and operating needs.
- Provide oversight of all resource development programs, including:
- Major Gifts & Planned Giving
- Mail, Online and Telephone Giving
- Foundation Grants, Corporate and Institutional Giving
- Government Funding
- Special Events, including Gala and other major events with the public
- Asset Building Campaigns
- Provide staff leadership to the Board Development Committee
- Maintain and develop new contacts with funders, both individuals and institutions, and build the involvement of the President, Chief Strategy Officer and Board members in the solicitation and donor stewardship processes.
- Direct and implement: prospect research, development of proposals and appeals, reports to funders, and donor acknowledgements.
- Oversee the implementation of data management systems and fundraising records for all fundraising activities in coordination with the Finance Department.
- Work closely with the Chief Strategy Officer and Chief Communications Officer to develop and publish fundraising related materials (annual report, newsletters, brochures, website content) and activities including special events, honorees and spokespersons, cultivation and marketing opportunities.
- Supervise Development Department staff, consultants and vendors as required.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 10 years experience in diversified fundraising, including a minimum of 4 years in a position managing staff
- Track record of success in strategic philanthropy, major gifts solicitation, donor stewardship, and long range resource development planning, proposal development and presentation
- Entrepreneurial with strategic planning and marketing knowledge
- Experience raising funds on a national platform
- Success engaging with program staff to understand and support role of development team within organization
- Ability to recognize opportunities and proactively pursue them
- Ability to manage stakeholders
- Superb interpersonal skills—ability to relate to donors, Board members and staff
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong team player
- Personnel management experience
- Commitment to the mission of the Brady Campaign
Organization Overview: The Brady Campaign & Center to Prevent Gun Violence (Brady) is a leading national voice in the movement to end gun violence. Representing millions of supporters and activists, Brady’s goal is to cut gun deaths in half by 2025 through sustained, impact-driven campaigns such as “Finish the Job” to expand Brady background checks to all gun sales, “Stop Bad Apple Gun Dealers” to shut down the small number of gun dealers that sell almost all crime guns, “The ASK Campaign” to educate parents about the risks of guns in the home, and “The War on PLCAA” to overturn or repeal the evil law that provides the gun industry protection from liability that no other industry in the nation enjoys.