Sandy Hook Promise
Major Gifts Officer
About Sandy Hook Promise
Sandy Hook Promise (SHP) is a non-partisan national nonprofit formed and led by several family members whose loved ones were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in December 2012. Based in Newtown, Connecticut, our intent is to honor all victims of gun violence by turning our tragedy into a moment of transformation by providing prevention programs that protect all children from gun violence.
SHP achieves this by educating and empowering parents, schools and youth organizations with research-based mental health & wellness programs that teach adults and students how to identify, intervene and help at-risk individuals BEFORE they hurt themselves or others.
For more information and to Make the Promise to Help Prevent Gun Violence, visit www.sandyhookpromise.org.
The Major Gifts Officer (MGO) will serve as a key member of the SHP team, leading efforts to cultivate and engage major individual donors to sustain and expand efforts to prevent gun violence through innovative programming and advocacy. The MGO will drive revenue and growth through major gifts while contributing to the highly collaborative, positive, and action-oriented culture.
The ideal candidate is passionate about the mission of SHP, has superb communication and organization skills, and brings a successful record of major gifts cultivation and stewardship. This is a new position, reporting to the Development Director.
SHP offers a competitive salary based on experience, benefits, 401k, paid holidays and vacation. The preference is the MGO be based in Newtown, CT, though working remotely with travel to Newtown will be considered. Approximately 20% national travel is expected for this role.
- Identify, cultivate and engage a portfolio of potential donors capable of making gifts $5,000+. In total manage major gift portfolio of $1.5M annually
- Thoughtfully and strategically participate in all aspects of donor relationships, including initiating contact, qualifying philanthropic capacity, with support of our Prospect Leader, and inclination, preparation of proposals, solicitation, closure, and stewardship
- Ensure that each portfolio donor has a clear strategy and appropriate timeline
- Collaborate with SHP leadership and the development team to create strategies to expand the donor pipeline, inspire mid-level donors, and meet annual goals
- Track and report on progress to goals to leadership, including contacts, gifts and pledges
- Create briefings, proposal materials, and other communications for major donors
- Build strong relationships internally across the organization, and proactively ensure access to the information needed to solicit gifts and build donor relationships effectively
- Support fundraising efforts of leadership, including research, talking points, solicitation materials, program updates and follow-up proposals
- Share donor engagement best practices across the organization, and actively contribute to an internal culture of philanthropy and stewardship
- Be a visible presence at SHP special events, and other programs to develop robust relationships with donors, prospective donors and volunteers
Desired Skills and Experience
- Strong commitment to SHP’s mission, purpose, and values
- 5+ years of experience working in a strategic, front-line annual and/or major gifts fundraising position
- A successful track record of personally identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding high net-worth individuals in an entrepreneurial, mission-driven environment
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with a team to create a vibrant major gifts program
- Ability to effectively communicate the mission, goals, and needs of an organization to donors, increasing donor loyalty and engagement
- Highly organized, creative, pro-active, detail-oriented, and able to prioritize with superior time management and troubleshooting skills
- Collaborative and inclusive management and leadership style
- Superb verbal & written communication skills and demonstrated ability to articulate complex ideas clearly, accurately, and concisely