Sandy Hook Promise
Direct Response Marketing and Engagement Associate Director
*This position can be based anywhere
About Sandy Hook Promise
Sandy Hook Promise (SHP) is a non-partisan national nonprofit formed and led by several family members whose loved ones were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in December 2012. Based in Newtown, Connecticut, our intent is to honor all victims of gun violence by turning our tragedy into a moment of transformation by providing prevention programs that protect all children from gun violence.
SHP achieves this by educating and empowering parents, schools and youth organizations with research-based mental health & wellness programs that teach adults and students how to identify, intervene and help at-risk individuals BEFORE they hurt themselves or others.
For more information and to Make the Promise to Help Prevent Gun Violence, visit www.sandyhookpromise.org.
The Direct Response Marketing and Engagement Associate Director (Associate Director) is responsible for the solicitation, engagement and cultivation of SHP members through email, web, email, mobile and other “direct” channels. In close collaboration with a team of consultants, S/he plans, execute and assesses recruitment/advertising, fundraising and activist (in collaboration with other functional areas) activities and programs for SHP. The Associate Director also provides insight into broader communication and brand strategies and fosters an environment conducive to member satisfaction.
The Associate Director reports to SHP Managing Director. SHP offers a competitive salary based on experience, benefits, 401k, paid holidays and vacation.
- Help develop and manage multi-year strategy and work plan focused on growing and sustaining SHP members, moving members through engagement ladder and expanding member revenue
- Ensure integration across diverse marketing channels, programs, content and cross-departmental teams. Maximize integration across giving channels with an emphasis on return on investment/donor lifetime value. Oversee:
- The development of online strategies to recruit and sustain new Promise Makers, e-Makers, Leaders and donors and grow lifetime value of our online base.
- Manage: Engagement strategy and execution utilizing on-line advertising, SHP social media network, website engagement, Promise Maker, e-Makers and Leader network, mobile engagement campaigns and acquisition.
- Contribute to strategy, content and execution of: Call-to-Action Weeks, Promotional Events and development for quarterly Newsletter with Communications.
- Test and evaluate the effectiveness of new engagement channels – such as direct mail
- Develop and monitor evaluation metrics for online and direct marketing activity including: return on investment, long term value, activism rates, revenue, acquisition/engagement costs and overall profitability of engagement campaigns and activities.
- With Managing Director, oversee SHP’s integrated content marketing strategy focused on donor fundraising and retention. Works in partnership with Communications staff to ensure a consistent message and branding across organization.
- Manage staff and external consultants responsible for programs, production, website and social media, and online campaigns to ensure annual and ongoing work plan goals are met
- Develop short- and long-range operating objectives, organizational structure, and staffing requirements. Ensures optimum performance of group function. Recommends and implements techniques to improve productivity, increase efficiencies, cut costs and maintain state-of-the-art practices.
- Ensure communication of duties and responsibilities to direct reports and monitor performance. Recommends, reviews, and approves employment actions, including interviewing, hiring, promotions and raises, in conjunction with Human Resources.
- Provide assistance and/or deliver additional projects as assigned by the Managing Director
Desired Skills and Experience
- Education: Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent in marketing, communications, or a related discipline.
- Experience: 6+ years of progressively responsible non-profit direct response experience including 2+ years of relevant management/supervisory experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Passion for the mission of SHP and a record of collaborative, respectful, inclusive leadership
- Deep understanding of database marketing and member lifecycle management (experience with Salsa and Blackbaud preferred)
- Sophisticated understanding of advocacy and donor programs
- Creative, innovative, and analytic problem-solver with strong conceptual abilities and attention to detail
- Experience and ease wearing multiple hats and participating actively in a highly entrepreneurial and collaborative environment
- Demonstrated success in developing strategies and managing programs to increase the number of donors and net income using both offline and online techniques
- Strong communications skills; team approach to work with an array of consultants, staff and donors
- Knowledge of current website design, techniques, and technologies
- Knowledge of current internet trends and opportunities
- Must be results-oriented and able to balance competing management priorities; competing and overlapping projects; and multiple demands on department resources
- Must be able to work well under pressure